Oral Hygiene & Health Advice
The key to preventing dental problems is practicing good oral hygiene. At The Wimbledon Dentist we can show you how and help you to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Plaque and tartar are the main causes of gum disease and tooth decay. Regular teeth brushing and cleaning between your teeth will help to keep your teeth and gums healthy and prevent the build up of plaque and deposits. At The Wimbledon Dentist we recommend visiting our practice for regular check-ups to assess your oral health.
Our oral hygiene programme offers more than just a clean and polish for your teeth. We will remove any plaque and check your gums thoroughly and instruct you on how best to keep your teeth, gums and mouth in good health. Our hygienists will also provide dietary advice to help reduce the development of dental decay such as limiting sugary drinks and foods.
No two people clean their teeth the same way, and we have responded to our patients' feedback to try to offer a range of Hygienist Options that move away from the one-size-fits-all approach
- Standard Hygiene Appointment: this lasts for 30 minutes and includes a full-mouth clean and polish with either the dentist or the hygienist.
- Hygiene Plus Appointment: this session lasts for 45 minutes and can be the right one for you if you need a "deeper clean", or have lots of staining to remove, require some numbing gel or a little local anaesthetic in certain areas to make you comfortable, or you haven't had a cleaning for a while.
- Perioplus Appointment: For those battling or actively managing their Periodontal Disease, this lasts 60 minutes.
And for the littler patients:
- Junior Smile: This is designed with younger children up to 14 in mind and consists of 20 minutes of oral hygiene instruction aimed specifically at them. We use plaque staining agents to highlight to them areas that they are missing when cleaning themselves at home, and demonstrate how to brush and floss well. They then get a simple and gentle polish afterwards, and fluoride can be applied if requested or deemed necessary.
- Young Smile: This is aimed at children 14-18 who perhaps need a bit longer with the hygienist that the younger ones and consists of personalised oral hygiene instruction with plaque indicating dye and a cleaning. This session lasts 30 minutes, with or without Fluoride application as necessary.
Why is oral hygiene important?
Gum disease not only affects the possibility of losing your teeth, poor oral hygiene and dental disease can contribute to other health issues such as heart disease and diabetes. Therefore ensuring our patients practice good oral hygiene from an early age and constantly throughout their lives will lessen the chances of serious dental problems in future. Prevention is always better than cure.
Receding and bleeding gums?
Gum disease otherwise know as periodontal disease can be prevented and we carry out thorough oral hygiene examinations which identifies the first signs of decay and periodontal disease before they can cause significant harm.
Regular Oral Hygiene Check-ups
Monitoring your dental health by our hygienists will help minimise potential future problems so we strongly recommend all patients book oral hygiene appointments regularly throughout the year. If you would like to book a hygiene visit at The Wimbledon Dentist then please call 020 8544 0112.